No signature, no publication

Friday, December 5, 2008

By: Hannah Pickett

There are many times that I open up a newspaper, read an article, and don't necessarily agree with the writer's tone or take on the issue at hand. I take it with a grain of salt and go on with my day. But, if I felt compelled enough to write a letter to the editor about my disgust with the article, I most certainly would not want to sign my name. It would be humiliating and in my opinion, unnecessary.

The truth of the matter is that in many newspapers, especially small town papers, letters to the editor will not be printed unless there is a signature on the letter. I know that at the Winterset Madisonian, if there is no signature or someone willing to take the heat for the letter to the editor, it will not be looked at, let alone published.

How important and necessary is it to have a signature on a letter to the editor? Why does it matter who wrote the letter?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP