Paying for Online News

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

By Ryan Franker

A survey was taken to 5,000 people in America and nine other countries, on whether they would pay for online news.

About half of Americans, 48%, said they would pay for online news and even news that is on their mobile phone, but said they would only pay about $3 a month for news on the Internet. The people in Great Britain tied with the same percentage of Americans willing to pay for online news, while Australians tied with the amount willing to pay for news with Americans.

Italians are willing to pay an average of $7 a month for the online news.

There is a large difference in how many news outlets the Europeans get their news and how Americans get their news.

In Europe there is a generally dominated by a couple large news outlets, where in America it is all over the place. Europeans are more willing to pay for news, just because they cannot go to a free news outlet like Americans do.

The people that are more willing to pay the money to read the news online, are the readers that have avid newspaper readers.

(Photo Credited: flickr.com)

2 comments:

The News About The News November 17, 2009 at 4:18 PM  

Since I've always lived in America I never really considered how lucky we are to have so much access to news and current events. I found it interesting when you said that people in Europe only have a couple major news outlets. It makes me appreciate my ability to 'be in the know', although I don't think I would pay to get the news sent to my phone when I could press a button and get it for free online.

-Tessa Leone

Michelle Marie November 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM  

I think there is going to be a point when we will start having to pay for it and I think a lot of people have taken advantage of the using the Internet as a free source. I'm not sure how people will feel once we do have to start paying for the news on the Internet.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP