Your Tweets: Archived Forever

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Today, the Library of Congress announced that it will acquire all public tweets made on the popular social networking site Twitter since March 2006.


The Library of Congress has collected and preserved information from the Internet since the presidential election of 2000, but because of the vastness of the Internet's content, the Library of Congress only collects a limited sampling.

Through this archival process, the Library of Congress will have records of several newsworthy and historically significant events. However, the majority of the tweets archived will simply involve the day-to-day activities of Twitter's 105 million users.


4 comments:

Kari April 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM  

I think this is interesting. It seems like Twitter has made its mark as a form of information worth perserving. My only question is, what does the Library of Congress think this will accomplish? What will they use all of this collected data for?

Katelyn Chamberlin April 20, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

I agree with Kari. It makes me wonder why they want to archive everyone's tweets in the first place? What importance could my tweets as a Twitter user from Iowa have to the Library of Congress? I'm not sure I like the idea of someone being able to pull up anything I have ever tweeted at any point in my life.

Anonymous,  April 20, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

I think this is weird. It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing that the Library of Congress is keeping track of my tweets. I am wondering how far this will go. For instance, if an underage person tweets about drinking, could they get in trouble?

Tyler Lloyd April 22, 2010 at 7:10 AM  

I think the government needs to keep its nose out of my business. This really annoys me because is it really any of their business what I am saying? If they wanted to know they could just follow me on the site anyways. The fact that they are going to be able to see everything I see and keep if for as long as they want annoys me greatly.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP