It's About Using Mediums

Monday, January 31, 2011


At some point in time we have all used social media. Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter just to name a few. These mediums have different uses. Facebook is about keeping in contact with people you know, MySpace allows musicians to upload music to gain fans, and Twiiter is for celebrities to say where they are going for dinner. Not necessarily. In his blog Robert Hernandez discusses that it isn't about the social medium being used but rather about the way in which it is used. When I found out I had to open a Twitter account for my Beginning Newswriting and Reporting class I wasn't thrilled. To me Twitter was one of the dumbest mediums people could use. I don't care where someone is, what they are doing, and who they are doing it with. It seems to me Twitter gets a bad rap thanks to all the celebrities out there talking about shallow nonsense. In the past month that I have been using Twitter I've found it is actually a pretty cool medium. No I don't Tweet that my friend and I went to Maurices but about the goings on in the world of journalism. Sometimes I also Tweet about what's going on in the world. While I was looking for stories to Tweet about I found articles about flooding in parts of Brazil. Had it not been for Twitter, and my classwork, I would most likely have never found out about the situation there. After posting I gained a follower. What I'm saying is keep an open mind about new mediums, you never know what you can learn from it.
Photo Credit: Library of Congress

8 comments:

Unknown January 31, 2011 at 8:20 PM  

I agree that Twitter has been a great way to communicate and receive the latest news on what is going on in the world today. Who are some of your favorite people to follow? I never imagined myself being interested in what New York Times and KCCI News had to report about the world today.

Kelsey Hagelberg February 1, 2011 at 7:32 AM  

I was also not looking forward to establishing a Twitter account. I didn't understand what we were supposed to do. This class has kept me current on the news and what is going on around me. I remember freshmen year I probably watched news twice in the whole year, I felt disconnected from the world and was naive.

Alexa Smith February 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

Morgan I'm not sure if I have a favorite person I'm following, but I do like seeing everyone else's Tweets.

Alexa Smith February 1, 2011 at 10:13 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tess Myer February 1, 2011 at 12:17 PM  

I didn't like the idea of getting a Twitter account as well. Now I have discovered it is the main medium to which I retrieve news information from. Do you think that Twitter will replace Facebook, like Facebook did MySpace? I think that though the two are somewhat similar, both have very different attributes to offer to it's users. Therefore, I don't see Twitter replacing Facebook.

Kimberly Kurimski February 1, 2011 at 1:31 PM  

I know exactly how you feel! I hated Twitter at first, but I am definitely getting used to it now. I struggled with learning how to use # and @ signs. Now I'm basically a pro...NOT!

Alexa Smith February 1, 2011 at 2:52 PM  

Tess, I don't think Twitter will take over Facebook but I could be wrong!
Kimberly, those # and @ signs gave me trouble too!

Unknown February 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

Social media are the new tools for journalists. Twitter, for example, offers the opportunity to give the information quickly and in a short way like a good lead in a newspaper. I am glad I have to use it as a student.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP