The Art Of Recording

Sunday, February 27, 2011


When I got the assignment for my first story I was hesitant about getting a recorder for the event I was covering. I didn't know how vital they were.


I had to decide if I wanted to buy a recorder. For whatever reason I ended up buying a recorder and I am glad I did.


My first story was covering a meeting for a proposed wellness center. This event had a main speaker but several people in the audience contributed to the presentation.


Recorders are a journalsits secret weapon. They get everything that journalists can not.


There was no way I could have remembered everything or gotten all the details in my notes. The recorder saved me, especially when it came to quotes.


Most importantly it gets a person statement word for word which makes quoting someone much easier. Misquoting should never happen!


If you write articles I recommend having a recorder in order to make sure you get all the facts straight. And that makes you a more credible journalist.

4 comments:

Kimberly Kurimski February 28, 2011 at 1:48 PM  

I have found my voice recorder to be my best friend when it comes to interviews. I always take notes while recording, but listening to the interview again helps me. When it comes to quoting person it's also nice for me to be able to replay their exact words over and over again so I don't quote them wrong.

David Talley March 1, 2011 at 10:39 PM  

The recorder has definitely been my best friend since I've bought it. I also found myself kind of doubting whether I really needed it. I can already say it's been well worth it and it's helped me have the quotes I need to give an extra boost to my stories.

Nicole March 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM  

I currently do not have a recorder because I was a little apprehensive about using it. After reading this, I have definitely been convinced that it is very beneficial.

Amanda Hintgen March 2, 2011 at 12:58 PM  

I agree as well. It is extremely helpful to get the quotes just right and you can hear yourself ask questions in an interview and in many cases hear the questions you did not plan to ask but you were inspired to ask as the interview went on. It is a great tool.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP