Txting Leading 2 Bad Spelling & Grammar?

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

It is hated by parents and teachers alike- text lingo.

Many of today's teens use short abbreviations and acronyms in most of their messages, enfuriating teachers who insist texting has led to a decrease in spelling and grammar skills.

A recent study focused on the question of whether or not the use of texting language impacted a student's spelling and grammar in school work.

The study found that school work was not affected due to the fact that students were able to identify the certain situations in which it was appropriate to use texting language.

Students easily differentiate between when a formal style of writing is needed, such as for a school essay, and when an informal style can be used, such as in texting. Essentially, texting is kept strictly in the texting world.

If a student does use texting lingo in their school work, often only a warning against doing so is needed for them to correct the problem.

If teachers enforce and are strict about not using texting language, there should be no problem at all with students using it.

As texting users are getting younger and younger, it is also important for teachers to make sure they teach their students at an early age proper grammar and spelling skills.

For more information on the study and how texting has benefited users, visit this link.

6 comments:

Maddie Boswell February 23, 2011 at 11:22 AM  

I completely agree. Over the past several years there have been many complaints that students have lost their good grammar skills and have started using "txt talk" in formal writing situations. I agree that students are smarter than we get credit for sometimes. Just because I use certain texting lingo in that setting doesn't mean I do not know when I shouldn't use it in a formal writing situation.

Erin Gerken February 23, 2011 at 12:18 PM  

I personally have no trouble differentiating between when "txt talk" and proper grammar are applicable. However, with classes such as this class, I can understand how sometimes those boundaries can be crossed and confused. Tweeting expecially could cause students to be confused on when "txt talk" is and isn't appropriate. However, students writing in this language in an essay for example just sounds completely out of the question. I would hope at least most students would be able to realize that is not appropriate.

Amanda Hintgen February 23, 2011 at 1:02 PM  

Along with "txt talk" is the slang that many incorporate into everday conversations. For example, instead of saying probably, many shorten it to prolly. Other examples might be favorite shortened to fav, or different shortened to diff. Not only is "txt talk" used in texts or perhaps schoool essays, it is used in everyday conversation.

David Talley February 23, 2011 at 1:29 PM  

I know I've never had a major problem mixing up my "txt talk" with actually writing, but I have in the past accidentally written something in "txt talk" form on a paper and notice it later saying "What was I thinking?" One interesting thing I have noticed though, is that since I've been using twitter more I've actually begun to take the time and write out whole words in my text messages.

Unknown February 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM  

I get very annoyed when people say LOL out loud."Txt talk" should be left to instant messaging and mobile phones only.

Charlie Sandvick February 28, 2011 at 3:23 PM  

I agree with Morgan. I feel like 'txt talk' needs to stay on instant messaging and for quick texts only. It drives me crazy when I see people 'txt talking' and even misspelling words on purpose. I feel like for the most part it doesn't affect school work, but we've all seen it happen a few times. When I see people do that on formal papers and what not it just makes me think that they are lazy.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP