What's Next?

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Many of us are currently working towards a career in journalism, so what exactly can students do in preparation for entering the real world of journalism?



8 things college journalists should do before they graduate has a great list of ideas to get students started. Here are a few:

1. Blog- A blog shows potential employers one important thing: consistency. Employers will see that you can produce work on a consistent basis, and therefore will be a committed journalist down the road.

2. Get a new wardrobe- Many college students' wardrobe selection is anything but professional or appropriate for the working world. Invest in a professional looking outfit or two, especially if you are going into broadcasting.

3. Clean up your social network profiles- Be sure to delete any poor language or inappropriate photos on your Facebook or Twitter.

Employers often check the profiles of candidates, and anything they see and don't like could make or break a potential employee's chances of getting the job.

4. Talk to your professors- Professors often have connections to important people or jobs in the journalism business. Professors also make great references to use on resumes.

5. Create a portfolio- Gather together what you feel is the best work of your college career in journalism.

This could be anything dealing with internships or even stories featured in the campus newspaper. The portfolio will help in identifying your strengths and skills.

To check out the rest of the tips, click on this link. Photo Credit: Creative Commons

3 comments:

Katie Buchholz March 2, 2011 at 12:33 AM  

I need to get into gear with number 2. I realized looking in my closet I need more professional clothing...these are great tips! Thanks for sharing!

Maddie Boswell March 2, 2011 at 9:55 AM  

These are all great tips. I have already begun to look through my social network sites and make sure they are appropriate for the working world. A portfolio is also a great thing to start thinking about. I have started to save my photography, writing, and art for a future portfolio.

Kimberly Kurimski March 7, 2011 at 1:27 PM  

This article has some great advice. I'm with Katie Buchholz on this one. I need more professional clothes too. I have always been cautious about my Facebook and Twitter pages. I make sure that there is nothing on them that I wouldn't want my employer to see. Thanks for the great advice!

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP