Newspapers Dying in East

Monday, March 1, 2010


China Daily has a strategy to boost its presence at home and abroad. To increase the number of readers METRO Beijing is reprinting itself with more pages and reporting.


To this point the newspaper business in China has been flourishing while it is dying in the West. Beijing only has a foreign population of about 110,00 people but they are publishing half a dozen English newspapers and magazines.

The dying of the newspaper in the West is attributed to internet access, but with China seeming to flourish in print media will it be unaffected in the East? That does not seem to be the belief in China.

Their capital that used to be a battleground for many Chinese newspaper journalists. Now the entirety of the metropolitan media market is dominated by about four newspapers.

To make things worse for the print media their online foes are able to take and reprint their news online for little to no cost to the readers. Because of this the METRO Beijing is trying to improve its website to make it more accessible to the reader.

Many predict that by the year 2025 print media in the metropolitan area of China will be almost extinct and on "quality" newspapers will survive.

1 comments:

Anonymous,  March 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

I can't decide if I think it is sad or not that newspapers are dying out. I rarely ever read newspapers. To get my news, I watch it on TV. On top of that, the news I get usually only comes from ESPN or E!. If I don't watch it on the TV, I get on my computer. If I don't have a computer, I have mobile shortcuts on my blackberry to ESPN and E!. I have also discovered a new way to get the news I am interested in: Twitter. By following ESPN and E! on Twitter, I get instant updates all the time. My prediction for the future: There won't be any newspapers at all. Just as casette tapes went out, so will newspapers.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP