Google Cars: Cool and Intriguing

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Google announced its enrollment in what could be a benchmark in technology this past week.

Being more specific, according to the New York Times, Google has been working on self-driven vehicles controlled by artificial-intelligence software that allows for a human-like driving experience.

These robot-cars equipped with a GPS receiver, motion sensors, and videocameras, are capable of replicating human decisions based on the proximity of objects around the car.

These modified cars have been set and tested on San Francisco's streets without any human intervention except for a person behind the wheel and a technician to monitor the navigation system in case anything goes wrong. Fortunately, all tests have been successful.

As stated in the official Google Blog, Google's goal in the development of this technology is "to help prevent traffic accidents, free up people’s time and reduce carbon emissions by fundamentally changing car use."

Google's initiative to increase public safety and develop once-dreamed robotics is amazing, unfortunately this technology is far from reaching consumers and it makes me wonder: would this become something like the iPad?

Sure the iPad is revolutionary and allows people to multitask, but not everyone can afford one and some even think it's a waste of money.

If self-driven cars were to become only appealing and affordable to a few people, then Google's new technology wouldn't be as beneficial for society as they wish.

I believe this technology would just be useful to mark another crucial moment in U.S. history concerning technological research and development, thus, I doubt this technology could be profitable and reach a large amount of consumers.

What's your opinion on Google's innovative technology?

Note: Pictures and video of the modified cars can be found in the original NY Times report.

4 comments:

Kati Herr October 11, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

I think you're right, Alejandro. I think this will be one of the super expensive Google products that will catch on for a while (within the upper class--aka rich people!) but will be replaced with the new technological advancement of a few years from now. As for robotic cars, I'm not sure how I feel. I can't say I'm particularly comfortable being on the road with a car that is completely controlled by something not human. Although to be quite honest, I can't say I'm particularly comfortable being on the road nowadays with a car controlled by a human either...

Unknown October 11, 2010 at 9:25 PM  

I feel the same way, Kati.
I really don't like the idea of having artificial intelligence operating a moving vehicle, especially in public streets.

But I do have to give it up to Google for demonstrating interest in wanting to push technological research and development, even if there is no apparent profitable gain… yet.

taramaurer October 11, 2010 at 10:35 PM  

This is a great post. I love reading about technological advancements, and this fits the bill. I agree with what you are saying about the affordability of this vehicle, however I don't think it is comparable to the iPad. The iPad can cost around the same amount as a laptop, and may have the potential to replace the laptop. I think this product is easier for consumers to get their hands on than a robot-car. However, I understand the idea you were trying to get at when you compared the two.

Victoria Jones October 12, 2010 at 11:32 AM  

There will be those with money who will invest in a Google car and hopefully over time the technology will be tweaked and advanced to the point where these cars will become affordable.

This invention holds so many possibilities and could cut down on so many accidents. I wonder if this invention will die out or if it will catch on and we'll become like the movie "I,Robot".

The problem now is a lot of people are squeezing their wallets and spending money only when necessary. Maybe when the economy picks up people will buy things like this car and the iPad.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP