Facebook to Make More Changes

Monday, December 6, 2010


On Sunday, Facebook released their new design for profile pages. The new pages are designed to let users share more details, with the ability to link them to other users. These changes came about shortly after the release of Facebook's version of e-mail, in an attempt to keep up with the ever-changing social media world.

Stated in an article by The Wall Street Journal, Facebook profile pages will now include everything from where you are from to what classes you took in school to your political affiliations. By doing this, users will be able to find more people to connect with.

Users will still be able to control who sees what on their page, but it may take more tweaking. Pictures will now appear on your profile page, including your top five recent tags. People who are not allowed to see certain pictures won't be able to, and instead will see other pictures.

Starting today, anyone that wants can upgrade to the new profile pages can, and everyone will be changed early next year.

Facebook is trying to keep up with the times, and for the most part people accept the changes. Personally, I do not like these constant changes, and would like the option to stay with my current page view. It seems like by the time I get one thing figured out, they switch it again, and I have to re-learn everything.

I use Facebook for staying in touch with friends, so personally this new feature of connecting with people who have similar interests will not be of great use to me. To connect with people that way, I use Twitter and blogging.

What do you think of the new Facebook features? Will you use them, or do you prefer to keep things as they are?

5 comments:

taramaurer December 6, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

I watched a video on Mashable where Mark Zuckerberg was interviewed on 60 Minutes. He was talking about the new Facebook and how it lets users to get an idea of who you are much easier.

This is the link to the video:
http://on.mash.to/gpwTog

It's pretty interesting to hear about all of the planning that went into the new Facebook. After hearing all about the changes through the eyes of Zuckerberg and other people working at Facebook, I believe I appreciate it more.

I don't mind the new design of Facebook. Like anything new, people make a big fuss at first. In the end, however, people accept it. Life goes on.

Victoria Jones December 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

Like Tara said people usually throw a hissy fit at first but usually calm down once they get used to it. I'm still getting used to the new Facebook and it seems like they're constantly adding new features.

One change awhile back that I found interesting was the "See Friendship" button. It pretty much takes "Facebook creeping" to a whole new level.

Nicole Gilbert December 7, 2010 at 7:27 PM  

That interview was interesting. Thanks for sharing Tara. I agree with both of them. People generally make a big deal about the new changes to Facebook, but eventually everyone has the same type of pages and you get used to it. Even little things like the chat sound has changed and first I thought it was my phone, but it was Facebook.

Every new idea takes time to get used especially when people are used to a certain way. I remember the last time Facebook changed it's layout and people were upset and within less than a week people were over it and onto something new.

Kati Herr December 7, 2010 at 8:01 PM  

I haven't tried the new profile yet, but I just got used to the old one so I wont be switching anytime soon I don't think.

It was a good idea for the facebook providers to make it optional--I didn't even know there was a new profile design until I clicked on someone who had switched to it.

Maybe I need to spend MORE time on facebook?!

nahhh....

Jesse A Stewart December 7, 2010 at 10:34 PM  

I'm still skeptical on this new layout but I feel that like anything new over time I will accept it. I feel like the profile is a bit hard to navigate around at first but it is nice to have everything all on one page. Also having photos at the top of the page is kind of cool and it provides this whole new feel to a profile. I think in the end it will just take time for people to get on board and like this change.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP