More Sites Move to Mobile

Monday, April 4, 2011

Our generation is constantly changing the way we get our information. From newspapers, computers, smartphones, iPods and iPads now we are constantly getting news and information on the go. The demand for information and news on the go is making many sites have to move to more mobile-optimized sites to keep up with the competition.


"The businesses know they need it and see the opportunity," says Jason Spero, director of mobile for Google.


The explosive growth of mobile (1.6 billion mobile phones sold in 2010) shows how important mobile optimization is for Web businesses. But most companies have yet to take the plunge. Google says 79 percent of its largest ad customers don't have a mobile-optimized site.


The New York Times has jumped aboard recently when they announced that they are making digital subscriptions to their website and also a mobile app.


The crush of mobile consumers requires either creating a whole new site entirely or adjusting the content so it can be viewed by smartphones and tablets. This may also require them to ditch Adobe Flash software because Apple products unlike Androids can not view them.


I think it will be interesting to see how many more websites or online newspapers add mobile-optimized sites in the upcoming future. I also think it would be a good idea for media journalists and other jobs including visual creativity to learn how to make mobile-friendly sites especially if they work with graphics and photos because photos tend to get distorted and look funny when viewed on a full-site rather than a smaller version.


PhotoCredit: CreativeCommons.

4 comments:

Kimberly Kurimski April 4, 2011 at 11:47 AM  

My computer information systems class just discussed this topic last week. Some websites aren't wanting to create a mobile site because there is less space and the capability of having video and pictures on the site is more difficult. I personally believe all sites should have a mobile site as well because a large amount of people have smart phones and that is where they are accessing the internet more.

Charlie Sandvick April 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM  

I know I'm in your class. That's where I got this information.

Unknown April 4, 2011 at 7:20 PM  

Websites getting on mobile devices enables them to gain more readers because people have easier access to that information. Having internet on my phone, I can check my news, mail, etc. directly on my device. I have found that super helpful with my busy schedule.

Alexa Smith April 4, 2011 at 7:29 PM  

It's amazing to me how fast mobile technology has grown and the demand for information to be mobile. I wonder what it will be like in a few years.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP