Journalism Organization Blossoms to Inspire Students Worlwide

Tuesday, October 11, 2011


I recently read an article about an interesting organization I'd never heard of. Youth Journalism International is an organization that was founded by a husband-wife team in 2004 that received non-profit status in 2010.


Their website serves as a news blog, but they also instruct many students. They send out ideas and topics to a huge e-mail list-serv and students participating develop stories of their own. What they write is then published on the blog.

Students cover everything from local to international news.

I think this organization is a fantastic idea and has the possibility to shape these students futures. It's teaching them how to be citizen-journalists, but they are learning many different aspects of writing. They are learning how to gather the news and report in one of the most interactive forms. I also think its great because the ideas they receive via e-mail encourage them to report and learn about something they otherwise might have never paid attention to.

I've had a lot of different opportunities open for me during college to experience something similar, but I wish I would have been a part of this during high school to start my practice early.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP