Magazines May Soon Be Available on iPad

Monday, September 20, 2010


In recent years, more and more print articles have become extinct and available only online. I don't know whether to be sorry, or excited.

Apple wants to make newspaper and magazine subscriptions available on iTunes and has been messing around with this idea for a while now. Even before the iPad was launched.

Some publishing companies released an iPad version of their work to go along with the iPad's release. Time Inc. was one of them.

Of course it seems like a bright idea, but after you think about it, the question is money. Print and online subscriptions go for $4-$5, and when you can get it for less through database subscriptions or iTunes. Publishing companies like to use their database subscriptions to gain customers and advertisers.

Apple takes a 30% revenue on everything it sells on iTunes, and hopes to do the same with periodicals.

The iPad has hopes of making magazines and newspapers more engaging to the audience rather than just the glossy finish on the print version. Publishers hope that Apple's iTunes will help increase sales since songs, video, and other downloads do very well.

iTunes still has a small amount of books, but the iPad will allow a much better experience which will increase the amount of e-books in the future.

It makes me wonder what will take place of the magazine racks at the check out. Maybe Amazon's Kindle and Barnes and Noble's Nook will follow. This is just another step towards less print articles.

Go Green?

2 comments:

Angela Donahue September 21, 2010 at 2:36 PM  

Does Apple want to give people headaches?

I don't know about you, but I can only look at a screen for so long. My eyesight is excellent, so that isn't the problem.

I definitely would not want to read a magazine using a screen nor would I read a book that way.

I can understand the going green idea by eliminating paper use, but you could also just recycle the magazine when you're through reading it.

I'm sure some people will be excited about reading a magazine on their iPad. As for me, I would not be, not that I even own an iPad though.

Why have an iPad when you can use a computer? Just my personal take.

Sheyenne Manning September 24, 2010 at 1:55 PM  

I think this is a great idea for the memnbers of Generation Y, since we all practically grew up with a PC or a Mac strapped to our hips.

It seems as though the government could possibly be funding this idea for their campaign to "go green" but I'm all for it. Go green!

I agree with Angela's points as well. I think that this will turn potential buyers away because many people are comforted by the simple turning of a page in a book. For others who have a thousand books they want to cart around or just want easier access to their favorite magazines, this is brilliant and the idea will go far.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP