Learning to Bundle

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Bit.ly, a site that lets people shorten and share links, recently added a new tool to its website. Users are now able to "bundle" URLs.


What does this mean? Here's an example:

I have created numerous videos during my internship with the Simpson College Athletics Communication Department. These videos have been placed on YouTube for people to view.

However, I want to share the links to a few of my videos on Facebook so my family can view them without searching on YouTube. Bit.ly lets me package the links together into one convenient URL.

How do you do this? It's really simple.

Type in a URL like you normally would in the "shorten your links" box on Bit.ly. Then, add a space and another URL.

You can keep doing this until you have the amount of links you want. Then, press "bundle."

One URL will be created. For the group of three links I wanted to share, my URL is: http://bit.ly/cPDOQw

This means, instead of sharing all of this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSsb6FXS-A8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPaeSM-_Luo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy8hDVVvZPM

Bit.ly shortens and bundles it to this: http://bit.ly/cPDOQw

Once the bundle is made, I can share it on Facebook.

Facebook isn't the only use for the Bit.ly bundle. It can be used on Twitter, where it would be extremely useful due to the limited amount of characters Twitter allows.

It can also be used in e-mail.

Journalist Jolie O'Dell of Mashable described the usefulness of bundling perfectly in her article "Bit.ly Introduces Bundles: Multi-Link Sharing With One URL":

"You can tweet a string of YouTube videos, e-mail all your Thanksgiving recipes, post a collection of study materials to Facebook – all with just one short URL."

Overall, this is a great new resource for link-sharing addicts.




3 comments:

Nicole Gilbert November 16, 2010 at 8:22 PM  

This is a great feature. So many times I have all these things I want to share and I just get tired of copy and pasting them so I just won't send it.

This is great to know about. Thanks for sharing this with us Tara. I will definately be using it in the near future!

Erin Guzmán November 16, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

My first reaction: I. Love. This. Feature.

Bit.ly has been my social media lifesaver...really it has. It almost annoys me now when I see links that aren't shortened. And with the new bundle feature, it will definitely make sharing information much simpler.

(That is, if people utilize Bit.ly the way they should!)

Excellent post Tara! I definitely wouldn't have known about this feature if you hadn't written about it.

Tyler Utzka November 17, 2010 at 6:35 AM  

Wow. This is extremely helpful. I'm glad I read this Tara. I didn't know I could do this until now.

I'm glad bit.ly came up with this. It makes it more simple to share videos with friends.

Thanks for telling me about this Tara. Good work.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP