Internships before entry-level jobs

Tuesday, December 7, 2010


As students we're all anxious to get out there in the world and get our first "real job".

However, according to a CNN article it's not that simple anymore. It's hard to even get that entry level job.

These days most students aren't graduating and going straight to that first job. Instead they are getting internships.

Surprising? I know. During the low point in our economy companies would only come to college looking to fill internships, not jobs.

Then when you graduate it's almost impossible for some to get a job. The entry-level job market is super competitive with fewer jobs and the same amount of graduates each year.

Back when our parents were all in college an internship wasn't a must like it is now. Now-a-days internships are the first time that students enter the work field.

So, if you can't get a job right away don't fear there are other things you can do to stay active. First off network, network, network! Sometimes it's not what you know but who you know.

While networking you should be doing something to keep active. Get a temporary job to pay the bills while you look. Also it's smart to get internships.

All of this shows that it's better to be actively working towards that entry level job than sitting at home complaining to your parents.

If you think internships are a joke, you're wrong! It's very important to think hard about which internship to choose that will help in your future careers.

Remember, quality over quality. It won't matter if you get fifteen internships but it will matter if you get a few good internships.

Internships and job shadowing are both helpful in that they let you see what it is actually like. Through these experiences one can learn what they like to do and what they hate to do.

Make sure you're showing your future employers your skills in a way that will make them want to hire you.

And if all else fails you can start a blog about not getting a real job like the three ladies who started The Eternal Intern. It's actually quite interesting.


3 comments:

Erin Guzmán December 7, 2010 at 8:28 PM  

Very true!

It's so hard to find an actual job in a variety of fields. Yes, there are a lot of opportunities out there, but by and large, it's all about the internships. And they aren't paid either!

Right now, (for me anyway) college students NEED that financial support. Any internship that I look at, I always ask if it's paid...& that's a pretty big decision maker for me as far as whether or not I pursue it. It just goes to show you that the market is tough altogether, and no matter what, it's gonna be a dog fight. That's why it's important to know what you're looking for, and to have the skills employers are looking for, so you can distinguish yourself for that awesome job opportunity.

{See more in my post for this week} :)

Unknown December 8, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

I've been hearing a lot of conversation about the same topic, and now I am getting really concerned about it. It is certainly stressful to think that even getting a good internship can be quite a challenge nowadays.

The worst part: I imagine it is difficult to stay financially prosperous with unpaid internships, which are usually the most available.

However, I must say that I the challenge. It makes me want to work harder everyday.

Victoria Jones December 13, 2010 at 8:07 PM  

I personally haven't started my internship search but I've heard that it's hard to find one that's paid. This presents a big problem for me. If I'm not getting paid (I doubt paid internships get paid well either) I won't be able to get one during the summer. I'm going to have to get an internship during the school year which seems like I'll be putting a lot on my plate. However, I'm not completely hopeless. I've talked to two graduates who did many internships while they were taking classes (see my most current Simpsonian article). It's hard work but hopefully it will all be worth it in the end.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP