New Facebook design emphasizes photos

Tuesday, December 7, 2010


Facebook experienced a huge overhaul earlier this week giving user's pages a significant new look.

I had no idea that Facebook was coming out with the new design until I watched the 60 Minutes episode on December 5, the night of the transition. Facebook found that it's users greatly enjoy photos and the new design put a focus on photos.

Facebook has undergone mild to moderate changes in the past, but this most resent upgrade was quite substantial. I've seen frustration with users using the new Facebook and during slight changes as well. I think the main reason why users get frustrated is simply because it is different from what they are accustomed to. Examples of changes in years past are the inclusion of "Top News" and "Recent Activity" along with "Friendship pages" and the use of geolocation.

This newest upgrade goes all out in making profiles loaded with photos. User photos are significantly larger in the new design and are shifted horizontally in a row where the "Wall" and "Info" tabs once were. Don't be frightened, because you can still find those tabs underneath the person's profile picture. Right above the row of photos is where you'll see the user's information, as in their birthday, and where they reside for example.

The "Send message" and "Poke" buttons have also found a new home located on the upper right hand corner of the top of the page. Also new, is a list of ten friends streaming down the left side of the page.

Overall, I am definitely pleased with the update, I find it convenient and have not gotten frustrated at all. I really enjoy being able to take photos and video from my web cam and having it posted right then and there.

If you are unsure if you want the upgrade be sure to take a glance at the pages of your friends that have already converted, because there is no turning back.

2 comments:

Jesse A Stewart December 7, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

I am skeptical still about this new layout. I like how everything is on one page and how photos appear right away but it feels to me like it is a bit cluttered and hard to navigate. I suppose however that over time people will learn how to navigate around and it will be no big deal. I guess if anything the new layout is growing on me.

Victoria Jones December 13, 2010 at 8:13 PM  

The biggest issue for me with new Facebook changes is the fact I'm not used to it. Once I get used to it I always like the new changes. I'm still becoming accustom to the new Facebook but for the most part I like it.

I have a few problems with the newest changes though. Before you could see everything said between two people by clicking the "See Conversation" button (I believe). Now you can click on "See Relationship" and see everything that's ever happened between the two. You can see pictures together, conversations, etc. Personally, I find this a little creepy on Facebook's part.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP