The 21st Century Bookstore

Monday, February 21, 2011

Many of us have been in a bookstore before. Barnes and Noble is a great example of a bookstore that offers current novels and magazines to a broad range of people.

Upon walking in, customers are bombarded by all of the products that they can willingly buy. Though the store is organized in a fashionable way, what if it all was digital?

There still would be comfy chairs to sit in, but the space the magazines and books take up would be eliminated. Customers could easily browse through the products with their smartphone, or other form of technology that they are equipped with.

By making the bookstores more technology oriented, customers would have more options to choose from. Customers today are finding that looking for books online offers them more of a selection than if they were to visit a bookstore.

Customers would also have the advantage of reading through books and magazines, just like the Bookstore offered, but it would all be digital. Customers of course would have to stay within the proximity of the store to receive these benefits, but it would still be worth the change.

By making Bookstores more digital, consumers are more apt to purchase magazines and books. Making Bookstores digital is one of the keys to keeping the media industry afloat.


photocredit: http://is.gd/aqVNEJ, creativecommons.com

3 comments:

Unknown February 23, 2011 at 7:33 AM  

Even if it is a good idea to turn all bookstores in a digital store, I still prefer a bookstore like Barnes & Noble where iI can take a look at books and magazines in a "natural" way. But I agree with you that today people buy more online and that bookstores will probably make more money. However, I think it's sad.

Erin Gerken February 23, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

I agree with Jeremy: I would much rather go to a real life "bricks and mortar" bookstore in which I can go through and actually pick up and look at the books that I buy. I much prefer reading, and buying, tangible copies of books that I can actually pick up. I understand why digital stores have appeal, though. Especially with products such as the Kindle. I know that personally, I will continue to buy my books from an actual store for as long as I can, though.

Katie Buchholz February 23, 2011 at 1:58 PM  

I have to agree with Jeremy and Erin on this one. I love walking into Barnes & Nobles and taking a look at all the books. I personally don't want books to go all digital, but I understand that the media these days we have to keep up with what the average American wants and needs.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP