Be Smart By Using a Smartphone

Tuesday, February 1, 2011


The social media craze these days can thank the mobile medium for its large explosion onto the scene of reporting. Smartphones are a new way to report news in a quick and exciting manner as well as having media consumers a new, immediate option for being caught up while being on-the-go.

MediaShift came up with five ways which describe how the trends of mobile consumers are analyzed. Before I get into the characteristics, I can say that as a smartphone owner, these five characteristics are very close to how I use my smartphone in terms of obtaining information. When trying to be a news savvy, owning a smartphone is a necessity for future reporters (or current media personnel, for that matter) to know what is up-to-the-minute.

A savvy news-hungry smartphone user should be an impulse user, demand for fast news, be more contributing and less about consuming, follow news on multiple platforms (apps) and make news a high priority in one's daily life.

A BlackBerry or a smartphone is a must need for those who want to get into the news industry, or for that matter, to be always caught up with the latest information.
Photo Credit: Creative Commons

5 comments:

Ben Lucas February 1, 2011 at 8:09 PM  

Your article link is broken. There is an extra "http//" in there. Fixed link: http://www.pbs.org/mediashift/2011/01/5-key-truths-about-mobile-news-consumers028.html

I thought that was an interesting read. It never occurred to me that they would be impulse buyers as I'm not really like that at all. Maybe I'll have to revise my technology-purchasing ways.

Maddie Boswell February 2, 2011 at 8:29 AM  

I would love a smart phone. I think that it is true that smart phones are the future of journalism. They make information easy and accessible to more people on the go. The only issue for me is the extra cost of smart phones. I would love to have one, but I would be responsible for the extra cost of a data plan that I don't have the money for right now. As soon as phone companies make it a cheaper option I will definitely be on board!

Unknown February 2, 2011 at 10:04 AM  

Very interesting. In Egypt, journalists use their smarphones and social media like twitter to express themselves and give informations. Smartphones are the new big tool for journalists.

Unknown February 2, 2011 at 11:14 AM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown February 2, 2011 at 11:15 AM  

My excuse to get a blackberry was that I needed it for College. I found it to be very useful to have in this class. I predict that in 5 years it will be hard to find a phone that is not a smart phone.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template On The Road by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP